CALL 0797 820 7455 9am to 6pm – Mon to Fri
Submit enquiry

Industrial Disease

Industrial Disease Fighting the wrongs of Industrial Disease

Asbestos and Industrial Disease Compensation Claims Solicitors



Mesothelioma is an incurable cancer caused by exposure to asbestos dust and fibre. It usually develops in the fluid in the lining of the lungs (pleural mesothelioma) but can also affect the lining of the abdomen (peritoneal mesothelioma) and the lining of the heart (pericardial mesothelioma).

Asbestos Related Lung Cancer

Lung cancer can be caused by significant exposure to asbestos dust and fibre over a period of time. Lung cancer can have causes other than exposure to asbestos, the most common being smoking.


Asbestosis is the name for fibrosis in the lung caused by significant exposure to asbestos. This condition is caused when large quantities of asbestos fibres, over time, damage the inner structure of the lungs, resulting in breathlessness.

Pleural Thickening

Pleural thickening is caused when asbestos fibres breathed in penetrate the lining or pleura of the lungs, causing thickening of this lining. This causes restriction to breathing because the lungs cannot expand fully.

Pleural Plaques

Pleural plaques are areas of scarring on the lining of the lungs caused by asbestos fibres penetrating the lining of the lung. They may become more extensive but they do not develop into any other asbestos disease.

What is asbestos?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring, fibrous mineral. It was used extensively in the UK from the 1900s. Due to its huge versatility, asbestos was moulded into many forms including sheeting and cloth.

How was asbestos used?

Asbestos was widely used in industry and construction from the 1900s, it was installed extensively as fire proofing and insulation throughout the 60’s – 80’s and can still be found in many buildings.

Download our Industrial Disease leaflet.

Why choose Hodge Jones & Allen?

You will have direct access to dedicated and APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers) accredited solicitors who specialise in asbestos disease cases and who will handle your claim in a sensitive manner from start to finish. We pride ourselves on providing a friendly, personal and professional service. We will always put your needs and interests first.

Please contact us if you have been diagnosed with any of these conditions. Time limits apply to civil compensation claims and for certain benefits, so don’t delay.

If you need help, advice or more information about what to do following a diagnosis of asbestos related disease, please contact our Industrial Disease Solicitors who are backed by four decades of experience. Our legal practice and team of London Solicitors have a strong track record of achieving favourable client outcomes. For expert legal advice use our contact form or call us on 0808 250 6017 today.

  • What's the process?

    We believe that the legal services we offer provide value for money and we insist on complete transparency throughout the legal process of what our charges will be.

    This means that you are always in control of costs and fees, and you’ll experience no surprises. You can be certain that everyone we assist will have their case considered by a fully-qualified, experienced solicitor.

    The steps to take to get the advice you need.

    Should you require assistance or advice on a Industrial Disease claim, please:-

    1. Contact us by telephone on 0797 820 7455 to register your enquiry.
    2. An experienced Partner will consider your enquiry and allocate to someone suitable within our team, who will call you to discuss your enquiry.


  • Meet the team

  • FAQs

    I have been exposed to asbestos, what should I do?

    If you believe that you have been exposed to asbestos fibres at work then you should consider taking the following actions:

    • Request a copy of your firms’ arrangements for dealing with asbestos
    • Check all staff know of the arrangements individual responsibilities
    • Report the exposure to your GP
    • If you are a member of a union, report the exposure to them.
    • Ensure you have reported the incident to your employer and take part in any investigation. Request a copy of the final report and record action taken
    • Request a copy of any HSE report or recommendation.

    What if the company I work for no longer exists?

    A claim can still be brought against a defunct company. They can be restored to Companies Register. This would be possible if the insurer for the company at the time of your exposure were known and able to meet the claim

Request a FREE consultation

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

Call us on:

Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

Phone:0797 820 7455
Fax:020 7388 2106
Address:Hodge Jones & Allen LLP
180 North Gower Street